- Listens without interrupting, is sensitive to others and shows patience
- Acknowledges and empathises with others, irrespective of their needs, views and beliefs
- Is always polite, in person, by email or telephone
- Says ‘hello my name is..’ to every patient and where care is to be provided, explains this clearly in advance
- Does not listen to others views, interrupts inappropriately
- Disregards the contribution that others can make
- Abrupt/discourteous in their communication (e.g. emails without salutation, unaware of their personal impact
- Does not introduce self to patients/colleagues, does not explain care to be provided.