The Sports Medicine Clinic at the Royal Orthopaedic Hospital specialises in treating problems in sporty or active people. Sports Medicine knowledge has expanded hugely over the last few years and conditions seen in this clinic will be managed by an experienced clinician with an expert understanding of the physical and psychological demands of sport.
Our multi-disciplinary team of specialist in Sport include Consultants, Physiotherapists, Radiologists and Podiatrists.
Who should use this service?
Whether your aim is to return to elite sport, recreational sport or simple regular physical activity, such as walking, our holistic and comprehensive team of experts will ensure that you receive the best, up to date treatment.
Frequent conditions seen in our clinic are:
- Shoulder Pain in physically active people e.g. throwing
- Knee pain related to physical activity (e.g. Knee ligament sprains / meniscal pathology / Patellofemoral pain / Patella tendon pain)
- Hip and groin pain
- Muscle injuries
- Activity related Tendons Problems (e.g. Achilles, knee, wrists)
- Ankle ligament sprains
- Ankle pain in physically active people
- Exertional lower leg pain ('shin splints')
- Sport related Back pain
- Bone Stress injuries
- Recurrent athletic injuries
We are able to offer a broad range treatments including:
- Biomechanical and gait assessment
- Imaging (X-ray, ultrasound, MRI and CT)
- Specialist injection therapy
- Shock wave therapy
- Musculoskeletal Ultrasound treatment
How to access this service
Please ask your GP to refer you to our service. Our service is listed as 'Sports Injury Clinic' in the NHS Choose and Book system.
If you would like to contact the Sports Injury Clinic at the Royal Orthopaedic Hospital directly please call 0121 685 4296